Thank you Prime Minister for defending marriage between a man and a woman.
In June 2015 a Galaxy poll found that 76% of Australians agree, that as a society, we should try to ensure that children are raised by their own mother and father and promote this.
In the last national census some 61% of Australians identified themselves as Christian and Jesus teaching on marriage is crystal clear for the highest good of society:
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” (Matt 19:4-5 NIV).
While some 2.5% of the population are homosexual only about half of these are activist for same sex marriage. So why should around 1% of the population have the right to socially re-engineer the whole foundation of man-woman marriage that 76% of the population want retained as the best way to raise children?
Thanking the PM with flowers on Monday 10 June came from grassroots Aussies who don't want to see a new generation growing up apart from their biological parents. With civil unions there is no discrimination in Australia against Gay couples - but they cannot reproduce. Marriage is about raising kids in the home of their biological parents whenever possible.
Click here for a 1:15 min clip on saying thanks with flowers.
Justice and Freedom
We have different names for different types of relationships in Australia:
- Marriage is between a man and a woman exclusively for life
- De facto is the recognised relationship of a couple living together
- Civil Union is the recognised relationship of a same-sex couple.
In Australia discrimination is not practiced against any of these relationships. However where Same-Sex marriages have been legalised, freedom of speech and religious freedom to advocate against SSM concepts have been restricted with fines and penalties on a scale from mild to severe. Of the 196 countries in the world only around 24 have legalised SSM - mainly in Europe and the Americas. In Australia we need to learn from the experience of other countries before we redefine man-woman marriage that has served every society so well from the beginning of time.
Care and Reconciliation
From a Christian perspective there are two separate situations we need to consider separately - national policy and pastoral care. National policy should be developed in alignment with the will of God: "your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matt 6:10). The will of God in marriage is a covenantal relationship between a man and a woman for life. Pastorally we care for all people with compassion and understanding no matter their colour or gender. Where there is any separation between people and God Jesus has provided reconciliation through his substitionary death on the Cross on our behalf (John 3:16-18).
Therefore Australians must be very well informed of the dire consequences SSM will have on the structure of society if the husband and wife foundation of the family unit is destabilised. Here are some key links for personal leaning and action:
Why we stand for the Sanctity of Marriage between a Man and a Woman
- Click here for 11 min video by Ravi Zacharias.
Wisdom and Insight
- Click here for an ACL article of why Australia needs to retain marriage as is.
- Click here for the Catholic Bishops article, 'Don't mess with Marriage'
- Click here for concerns for children at the Australian Marriage Forum.
Warnings from what's Already Happened Overseas with SSM
- Audio testimony on why Canadian Dawn Stefanowicz, who was raised by a gay father, defends traditional marriage and warns against the restriction of freedoms.
- About Dawn
- Click here for 'same-sex marriage' and the Persecution of Chrisitans in Canada
- 4 min Video on Why a Gay Man voted NO in the Irish referendum
- Video on what 'gay marriage' did to Massachusetts.
- Click here for Paul Kelly article, the Australian 11 July 15, on SSM and religious belief
- Click here for article: Gay Atheist Speaks a Timely Word fo the Church
Call to Action